A person with blindness can easily detect obstacles on ground, surface textures, pot holes etc. while travelling with a standard white cane. However, white cane cannot detect overhanging objects like tree branches, sign boards, open glass windows, etc. Also, at times using a white cane could result in scratching a parked vehicle with a cane, bumping into another person, etc.
A SmartCane solves the above challenges and empowers visually impaired through independent and safe mobility. Here's how a SmartCane works -
- An electronic travel aid which fits on top fold of the white cane
- Enhances white cane's capability by detecting objects from knee to head height in front of a person
- Uses ultrasonic ranging to detect obstacles, and conveys distance information to the end users through distinct vibratory patterns
- Helps users to avoid collisions with over-hanging and protruding objects, such as tree branches, signboards, underside of parked vehicles, open glass windows, thereby enabling them to navigate in different social settings with safety and confidence.
- Informs about presence of objects before actually touching the object with the cane and thus helps in preventing unwanted contact
- Co-created with the user community and validated by 300+ Visually impaired persons across the country
- Currently, device being used by nearly 10,000 users in India