Generally delivered in 4 - 8 days
This book has been written with the objective of providing a complete and systematic constitutional background to the study of the subject of Indian Polity in the UPSC Civil Services Preliminary (General Studies–I) and Main (General Studies–II) examinations. In addition, the book is also useful to the various State Services Examinations and other competitive examinations conducted by the UPSC, SSC, UGC and other bodies. Further, this book is also useful to the university students, teachers and other readers who are interested in knowing the Indian Constitutional System.
Divided into 8 Sections, 80 Chapters and 3 Appendices so as to cover the entire spectrum of the Constitution.
Text of the Constitution has been updated till the 101st Amendment Act, 2016.
Contains the constitutional cases and doctrines relating to the interpretation of the Constitution.
Provides the summary of constitutional prescriptions on various topics.
Gives the overview of the constitutional amendment and allied amending acts.
Lists the constitutional orders relating to the SCs and STs and their amendments.
Includes the application of the Indian Constitution to the Jammu and Kashmir.
Contains the Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir and its amendments.
Old Schedules of the Constitution are provided in the Appendices.
Full text of the omitted Articles is given in the footnotes of the related Chapters.
M. Laxmikanth is a well-known author in the field of civil services examinations. The various other books written by him are: Indian Polity, Governance in India, Objective Indian Polity, Public Administration and Administrative Theory. Formerly, he was the founder-director of Laxmikanth’s IAS Academy, Hyderabad (closed). He completed Master’s course in Political Science (Osmania University).
Section A: Introduction
1. Indian Constitution: An Overview
2. Constitutional Amendment Acts: An Overview
3. Allied Amending Acts: An Overview
4. Acts Relating to the Salaries Under the Second Schedule
5. Acts Relating to the Composition of the Supreme Court
6. Constitutional Orders Relating to SCs and STs and Their Amendments
Section B: Constitutional Cases
7. Important Cases and Their Judgements at a Glance
8. Cases Expanding the Scope of Article
9. Cases Declaring Amendments as Unconstitutional
10. Cases Relating to the Validity of Amendments
11. Cases Leading to Constitutional Amendments
Section C: Constitutional Prescriptions
12. Constitutional Prescriptions with Respect to Compositions
13. Constitutional Prescriptions with Respect to Appointments
14. Constitutional Prescriptions with Respect to Age
15. Constitutional Prescriptions with Respect to Term
16. Constitutional Prescriptions with Respect to Salaries
17. Constitutional Prescriptions with Respect to Resignations
18. Constitutional Prescriptions with Respect to Removals and Dissolutions
19. Constitutional Prescriptions with Respect to Submission of Reports
20. Constitutional Prescriptions with Respect to Oaths
21. Constitutional Prescriptions with Respect to Special Majorities
Section D: Doctrines of Constitutional Interpretation
22. Doctrine of Severability
23. Doctrine of Waiver
24. Doctrine of Eclipse
25. Doctrine of Territorial Nexus
26. Doctrine of Pith and Substance
27. Doctrine of Colourable Legislation
28. Doctrine of Implied Powers
29. Doctrine of Incidental and Ancillary Powers
30. Doctrine of Precedent
31. Doctrine of Occupied Field
32. Doctrine of Prospective Overruling
33. Doctrine of Harmonious Construction
34. Doctrine of Liberal Interpretation
Section E: Articles of the Constitution
36. Part I – The Union and Its Territory (Articles 1 to 4)
37. Part II – Citizenship (Articles 5 to 11)
38. Part III – Fundamental Rights (Articles 12 to 35)
39. Part IV – Directive Principles of State Policy (Articles 36 to 51)
40. Part IVA – Fundamental Duties (Article 51A)
41. Part V – The Union (Articles 52 to 151)
42. Part VI – The States (Articles 152 to 237)
43. Part VII – The States in Part B of the First Schedule (Repealed) (Article 238)
44. Part VIII – The Union Territories (Articles 239 to 242)
45. Part IX – The Panchayats (Articles 243 to 243-O)
46. Part IXA – The Municipalities (Articles 243P to 243ZG)
47. Part IXB – The Co-operative Societies (Articles 243ZH to 243ZT)
48. Part X – The Scheduled and Tribal Areas (Articles 244 to 244A)
49. Part XI – Relations Between the Union and the States (Articles 245 to 263)
50. Part XII – Finance, Property, Contracts and Suits (Articles 264 to 300A)
51. Part XIII – Trade, Commerce and Intercourse Within the Territory of India (Articles 301 to 307)
52. Part XIV – Services Under the Union and the States (Articles 308 to 323)
53. Part XIVA – Tribunals (Articles 323A to 323B)
54. Part XV – Elections (Articles 324 to 329A)
55. Part XVI – Special Provisions Relating to Certain Classes (Articles 330 to 342)
56. Part XVII – Official Language (Articles 343 to 351)
57. Part XVIII – Emergency Provisions (Articles 352 to 360)
58. Part XIX – Miscellaneous (Articles 361 to 367)
59. Part XX – Amendment of the Constitution (Article 368)
60. Part XXI – Temporary, Transitional and Special Provisions (Articles 369 to 392)
61. Part XXII – Short Title, Commencement, Authoritative Text in Hindi and Repeals (Articles 393 to 395)
Section F: Schedules of the Constitution
62. First Schedule – Names of States and Union Territories and Their Territorial Extent
63. Second Schedule – Salaries, Allowances and Privileges of Certain Constitutional Functionaries
64. Third Schedule – Forms of Oaths or Affirmations
65. Fourth Schedule – Allocation of Seats in the Council of States
66. Fifth Schedule – Provisions as to the Administration and Control of Scheduled Areas and Scheduled Tribes
67. Sixth Schedule – Provisions as to the Administration of Tribal Areas in the States of Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram
68. Seventh Schedule – Subject-Matter of Laws Made by Parliament and State Legislatures
69. Eighth Schedule – Languages
70. Ninth Schedule – Validation of Certain Acts and Regulations
71. Tenth Schedule – Provisions as to Disqualification on Ground of Defection
72. Eleventh Schedule – Powers, Authority and Responsibilities of Panchayats
73. Twelfth Schedule – Powers, Authority and Responsibilities of Municipalities, etc.
Section G: Application of the Indian Constitution to Jammu and Kashmir
74. Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 1954
75. Re-statement, with Reference to the Present Text of the Constitution, of the Exceptions and Modifications Subject to Which the Constitution Applies to the State of Jammu and Kashmir
76. Article 35A of the Indian Constitution
Section H: Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir
77. Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir
78. Sections of the Jammu and Kashmir Constitution and Their Corresponding Articles of the Indian Constitution
79. Schedules of the Jammu and Kashmir Constitution and Their Corresponding Schedules of the Indian Constitution 79.1–79.1
80. Amendments to the Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir: An Overview
Appendix I: Original First Schedule of the Constitution
Appendix II: Original Fourth Schedule of the Constitution
Appendix III: Old Tenth Schedule of the Constitution
The images represent actual product though color of the image and product may slightly differ.