A person with blindness can easily detect obstacles on ground, surface textures, pot holes etc. while travelling with a standard white cane. However, white cane cannot detect overhanging objects like tree branches, sign boards, open glass windows, etc. Also, at times using a white cane could result in scratching a parked vehicle with a cane, bumping into another person, etc.
A SmartCaneTM solves the above challenges and empowers persons with visual impairment through independent and safe mobility. Here's how a SmartCane works:
- An electronic travel aid which fits on top fold of the white cane
- Enhances white cane's capability by detecting objects from knee to head height in front of a person
- Uses ultrasonic ranging to detect obstacles, and conveys distance information to the end users through distinct vibratory patterns
- Helps users to avoid collisions with over-hanging and protruding objects, such as tree branches, signboards, underside of parked vehicles, open glass windows, thereby enabling them to navigate in different social settings with safety and confidence.
- Informs about presence of objects before actually touching the object with the cane and thus helps in preventing unwanted contact
- Co-created with the user community and validated by 300+ persons with visual Impairment across the country
Currently, device being used by nearly 10,000 users in India
The images represent actual product though color of the image and product may slightly differ.